The Royal Numismatic Society (“we”) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
This policy sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it. By visiting https://numismatics.org.uk you are accepting and consenting to the practices described in this policy.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act) the data controller is
Department of History, Classics and Archaeology
Birkbeck, University of London
27 Russell Square
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Your name, address, email address and telephone number as part of your application for membership of the RNS
Information you give us
• You may give us information about you by filling in forms on our website, or by corresponding with us by telephone, email or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you subscribe to our newsletter, and when you report a problem with our site. The information you may give us may include your name, email address, postal address and telephone number.
Information we collect about you
With regard to each of your visits to our site we may automatically collect the following information:
• technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform;
• information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time); page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call our customer service number.
Information we receive from other sources
We are working closely with third parties (including, for example, numismatic societies, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers) and may receive information about you from them.
Uses made of the information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
A: Information you give to us:
1. When using an online form
•We ask for your details so we can respond in an appropriate way, for example when enquiring about the newsletter requesting materials.
•If you have given your consent, you may be contacted with relevant promotions, offers or information that you have expressed an interest in or that might be of interest to you. If you wish us to stop contacting you please email firstname.lastname@example.org
2. When signing up for e-mail updates
•We ask for your details so we can add you to our email database and send you updates you’ve requested. This information will not be given to any third party, except to the extent and for the purpose we may be required to do so by any law. If you wish us to stop contacting you please email email@example.com
3. When applying for membership
We ask for your details so we can add you to our membership database. This information will be used to
- Correspond with you regarding RNS business such as annual lectures, newsletters from the Council, AGM announcements and elections
- Send you the Money and Medals Network Newsletter 3 times a year, which all members are eligible to receive
- Send you the Numismatic Chronicle, which all members are eligible to receive
B: Information we collect about you
We will use this information:
•to administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
•to improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
•to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
•as part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure;
•to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you;
•to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our site about goods or services that may interest you or them.
Information we receive from other sources
•We may combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We may use this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
Disclosure of your information
For item 3.2 we will give your email address to the Money and Medals Network editor for the purposes of sending you the Money and Medals Newsletter only. Your data will not be used for any other purpose by this third party.
Fir item 3.3. we will give your address to our publishing distributor for the purposes of sending you the journal. Your data will not be used for any other purpose by this third party.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
• If RNS or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
Where we store your personal data
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Access to information
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.